read_connect(); //$GLOBALS[ezoic_db]->read->query("use 17things"); ?>

How do you size electric underfloor heating – DIY?

I want to install electric underfloor heating in my bathroom which is about to be redone. What I can’t understand is how you fit it round toilets etc if it can’t be cut? My room is exactly 2m wide but the toilet will cover part of that and the sink etc which it’s not supposed to go underneath so what do you do? Does it mean getting a smaller heating mat and having big cold gaps!
Also anyone used B&Q pads or Fired Earth pads – would you recommend? Thanks x

Related Items

6 Responses to “How do you size electric underfloor heating – DIY?”

  1. CWebb said :

    sq footage

  2. me! said :

    I had this once in my house…loved it! I am pretty sure it is by sq. ft. and they make mats that can be cut around things now. The ones we had were copper pipes and they could be bent around things they also have plastic ones so either way it is flexible.

  3. chicky said :

    The underfloor heating mats fit would be best fitted where you walk more. You can buy a wire format but it is more expensive,however it can be fitted to a greater area. Most people spend longer standing at a sink than at a toilet. It would be a waste to but it up to the toilet. The only way to benefit from the whole floor is by fitting the floor first then have your sink and toilet screwed/ glued into the finished floor.

  4. ericthegreatusa said :

    no cutting ! simply go around them. Go read my best answer on another string

  5. jayktee96 said :

    If you are using a 500mm wide mat, then you cut and turn or remove the wire from the backing for a suitable length and lay it separately into the odd shapes/gaps and secure with tape or small clips. Be VERY carefull with your measurements, err on the next size down to the nearest 0.5² meter. You MUST not fit element below any fixtures, pedestals/toilets/cabinets etc. or it will overheat. Measure the total area accurately then deduct the areas of fixtures. I have installed various brands of heaters, Devi and Warm Up are both good. You must fit an RCD and a temperature sensor, and you must (England and Wales) have it inspected as it falls under Part P regulations.

    PS Don’t miss any areas, you will regret it for evermore!

  6. nigel t said :

    This is not a job for the DIYer.
    It should be done by a qualified electrician who is Part P registered, otherwise you must inform the Building Control Department of your local council before you start the work.


[newtagclound int=0]


Recent Comments

Recent Posts